Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Becoming Fox's Mom

A lot has happened since my last up dated.. things move so fast it was hard to keep up. First off Fox  is HOME!!!!!
But before he got discharged he had more surprises for us before he was ready to be sent home. Right when his lungs were looking great and the Docs we ready (literally during rounds) to discharge him from the critical care and up to the step down cardiac floor, Fox's heart skipped right from 140bpm to 258bmp. It was terrifying they tired many things to bring it down and nothing was working so they ended up using electricity to "pace" his heart back sticking a probe down his nose and close to his heart and shocking or pacing his heart to speed up his heart so that is all the rhythms would catch up and start back at his normal rate.  It took a few tries but it worked. He had 3 of these episodes, they called them arterial flutters. They started him on propranolol to help lower and regulate his heart rate. Eventually it looked like it started to work. And then his heart rate started to drop from 130 to the 80's and then jump back up. They call his bradycardia. His heart rate still leaps around so there is something wrong with his electrical circuit. I'm really hoping that it settles out and is controlled with drugs or he would need a pace maker. But for right now his body is tolerating it and the heart drugs are working to help control the episodes to a reasonable level.
When the Doctor told me he was gonna be discharged I started to cry as soon as she left the room. I was so happy and his whole month long journey the ups and the downs flashed through my body. Getting ready to leave was a blur.... there wsa so much information and getting his drug schedule all worked. He had to pass a car seat test, where he sits in the car seat for a hour and they check to see how much his sats drop. He passed and we were finally on our way home!
The whole train ride I found myself trying to hid my tears, I was so excited and I just overwhelmed with everything was my little Fox has gone through. I mean really no mother should see their child's heart and lungs. It was a scary start to life, but he made it through. Thanks to all sick kids, the nurses the Doctors , and the surgeons esp Dr. Van Arsdell who saved Fox's life. What do you say to someone like that... Thank you .. but that doesn't feel even close to enough. Without the support of my Family and Friends and everyone who was praying for Fox and sending good vibes I would have not been able to get through this. THANK YOU.

The first couple days home have been a dream come true such a Christmas miracle! I LOVE being back home with Tripp and Everly-Rose, and Brandon they are so fun, and loving. I'm so blessed!
 Fox has his Cystic Fibrosis test tomorrow and they said we will know the results by friday.. I'm nervous but whatever it is I know we can get through anything!
On Friday he has his first Cardiology appointment at CHEO. I will keep updating...I know Fox needs more surgery in the near future and then more after that. His Journey has really just begun but I know he will continue to be a fighter and get through each hurdle one at a time:)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Nikki - you were Fox's mom long before he was born :). I know that you and Brandon will face his challenges with love and compassion, as you have always done with your children. Your extended family looks forward to that journey with you and hopes that the trials are few and the blessings many. Much love to you all, Linda/Mom/Grandy xox

    ReplyDelete